Sunday, July 20, 2008

Literature and Life

One of the things that we are going to look at this quarter is how literature relates to our lives.  Students always say, "Why do we have to do this?"  Well, here is your chance to find out.  We're going to start by looking at the state standards (I know...BORING, right?), but you have to know what you are expected to learn.  Then we're going to figure out what you really want to know about how literature and life are connected.  Then you guys will get into groups and each group will choose a story.  You'll be creating a virtual field trip for the class.  I'll show you one I created for you this summer and I'll show you how to do each step of the way, so it will be easier than you think. We'll create a rubric for it before we start, so you will know EXACTLY what is expected of you.  Once you have all of the information you need, your groups will share their virtual field trips.  Each person will keep a journal of what you learned from each story and finally, you'll write a reflection paper.  You'll have the option to do both of these online as a blog, and other students will be able to comment on what you learned.  Sound like a lot to do in three weeks (maybe four)?  It is!  But it will beat sitting around and twiddling your thumbs.  Besides, you get to learn and have fun at the same time.  I can't wait to get started!

No comments: